Check out these reviews, videos and comparisons of the Danner RAT vs Lowa Zephyr boots and you make the best choice.
Danner RAT and Lowa Zephyr are both well-known brands in the world of tactical boots. Here are some key differences between the two:
- Construction: The Danner RAT (Rugged All-Terrain) boot is built with a full-grain leather and 1000 denier nylon upper, while the Lowa Zephyr is made with a combination of suede leather and nylon fabric. The RAT is known for its durability and ruggedness, while the Zephyr is more lightweight and breathable.
- Sole: The Danner RAT features a Vibram® 360 outsole that provides excellent traction and stability on any terrain, while the Lowa Zephyr has a Lowa Cross outsole that is designed for hiking and trekking on different terrains. The RAT also has a polyurethane midsole that provides additional shock absorption.
- Waterproofing: The Danner RAT is fully waterproof thanks to its Gore-Tex lining, while the Lowa Zephyr is only water-resistant. This means that the RAT is better suited for wet environments.
- Price: The Danner RAT is generally more expensive than the Lowa Zephyr, but this is because of its higher-quality materials and construction.
Danner RAT SPECIFICATIONS:
- Upper: The upper is made of full-grain leather and 1000 denier nylon, which provides excellent durability and protection against abrasions and tears.
- Lining: The Danner RAT boots feature a Gore-Tex waterproof lining that keeps your feet dry in wet conditions while still allowing your feet to breathe.
- Insole: The RAT has a polyurethane footbed that is removable and provides excellent cushioning and support.
- Midsole: The boots have a polyurethane midsole that is designed to absorb shock and provide additional comfort.
- Outsole: The outsole is made of Vibram® 360 rubber compound that provides excellent traction on a variety of terrains.
- Shank: The RAT features a fiberglass shank that provides excellent support and stability, especially on uneven terrain.
- Toe protection: The boots have a reinforced toe cap that provides additional protection against impacts and abrasions.
- Height: The boots have an 8-inch height, which provides good ankle support and protection.
Overall, the Danner RAT is a rugged and durable boot that is designed for use in a variety of outdoor activities, including hiking, hunting, and tactical operations.
Lowa Zephyr Boots SPECIFICATIONS:
specifications for the Lowa Zephyr boots:
Upper: The upper is made of a combination of suede leather and nylon fabric, which provides a balance of durability and breathability.
Lining: The boots feature a breathable mesh lining that allows air to circulate, keeping your feet cool and dry.
Insole: The Lowa Zephyr boot has a Climate Control insole that is removable and provides cushioning and support while also wicking away moisture.
Midsole: The boots have a PU MONOWRAP® frame midsole that provides cushioning and stability.
Outsole: The outsole is made of a Lowa Cross rubber compound that provides excellent traction on a variety of surfaces.
Shank: The Zephyr features a nylon stabilizer that provides support and stability.
Toe protection: The boots have a reinforced toe cap that provides additional protection against impacts and abrasions.
Height: The boots have a 6-inch height, which provides good ankle support without being too restrictive.
Overall, the Lowa Zephyr is a lightweight and breathable boot that is designed for use in hiking and trekking activities. The combination of suede leather and nylon fabric upper and breathable mesh lining provides comfort and durability, while the Lowa Cross outsole offers good traction on a variety of terrains.
Danner RAT Temperate Military Boots Review
The first pair of danners I put on I was impressed with. As much as I was impressed with that first pair over other boots, I am that much impressed with this pair over those. I’ve read reviews where people said “no break in” before, and thought people were exaggerating. I put my foot in these boots, and I could flex my foot in in direction: forward, backward, right, left and they boot just moved with my foot with no discomfort. I could bend down and flex the toe and the supple leather in both the toe and the back of the boot just flexed perfectly with my movement. These are amazing. I tied them as tight as I would a pair of boots a year old and they just moved with my foot perfectly. I can’t emphasis enough how there was absolutely no break in with these boots.
Lowa Zephyr boots review
These boots are AWESOME. They are indeed the lightest pair of boots (summer Bates included) I have ever owned.(15 years and counting) I ordered the GTX version for the added water protection and my dogs didn’t really “sweat” in them. The laces provided were flimsy and didn’t last very long. Simple fix..take white “issue” laces-ask your supply and soak them in tea(you have limited resources downrange-those that have been will attest) and these laces still are in the boot to this day(almost a year out of country).
I bought these boots while on deployment and I haven’t been diappointed at all. They have help up in water, mud, snow and on the rocky terrain. I wound up in a puddle of semi-frozen water (up to my laces) and my socks remained dry! I wear them with boarding socks, so you might want to get them a little larger. Your feet will sweat some but it beats having soaked socks and boots. I definitely would buy another pair!
Overall, the Danner RAT is a more heavy-duty boot that is better suited for rugged outdoor activities and harsh weather conditions, while the Lowa Zephyr is a more lightweight and versatile boot that is better suited for hiking and trekking.
Questions from athletes in our gym.
Question: Which do you prefer, the Danner boot vs Lowa Z8S boot or Garmont? The Z-8N is also a good one. Both are very good top brands. It is hard to pick one boot versus the other. I would say to try both out and see which one fits your foot better.
Answer: I think you are talking about the Bates USMC Desert Rat Waterproof Olive Mojave Gortex Boot 89502.
The Bates are really good work horse boots.
One of my team mates has a pair of Garmonts.
Question: Do you have any reviews for the lowa renegade vs uplander? We are working on a review for those now.